Welcome to my Kitchen!

As often as possible you will find new recipes, that I have found on the internet, from others and some that are family favorites. Most are easy and use common ingredients found in most kitchens. Not all pictures are taken by me, but I do add my own pictures as soon as I can after I have made the recipe and remember to take the picture. Pull up a chair, help yourself to some coffee and make yourself at home. Please leave a comment, I appreciate feedback. Thank you.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Cold Vermicelli Spaghetti Salad


When I saw this recipe I just knew I had to keep it and share.  The recipe can be downsized to fit your wants. I've never followed a salad recipe and I doubt I will start now, but this looks like one I may not alter much at all. :)

Recipe: Cold Vermicelli Spaghetti Salad©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
Prep time: 10 min |Yield: About 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 (12 ounce) package of angel hair, vermicelli or thin spaghetti
  • 1/2 cup of homemade or commercial Italian dressing
  • 2 medium sized tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon of dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon of all purpose seasoning, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Cajun or Creole seasoning, or to taste, optional
  • Dash of dried red pepper flakes, optional
  • 1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
  • Add-ins: Finely minced red, yellow or sweet onion, celery, sweet red, yellow or green bell pepper, jalapeno or other hot peppers, chopped pimentos, green onion, garlic, seeded, diced cucumber, diced summer squash or zucchini, sliced black, green or cocktail olives.
Instructions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Break pasta into thirds and boil to al dente according to the package directions. Drain and place into a storage bowl. Toss with the dressing. Add the chopped tomato, seasonings and any additional add-ins you like. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed; toss with Parmesan cheese just before serving.

Cook's Notes: I use Cavender's Greek seasoning or Lawry's seasoning salt. Chopped cooked chicken breast, shrimp and/or cooked, chopped bacon may be added. I prefer my salad without mayonnaise, though some folks do add some to this salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment