Welcome to my Kitchen!

As often as possible you will find new recipes, that I have found on the internet, from others and some that are family favorites. Most are easy and use common ingredients found in most kitchens. Not all pictures are taken by me, but I do add my own pictures as soon as I can after I have made the recipe and remember to take the picture. Pull up a chair, help yourself to some coffee and make yourself at home. Please leave a comment, I appreciate feedback. Thank you.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Grandma Henke's Orange drink


This recipe is as close to the original as I can get. It took many tries to get it this close to Grandma’s drink. Grandma passed on taking the recipe with her. I never actually saw a recipe, just grandma making the drink.  This drink brings back fond memories of grandma making this in the summertime. With each sip I can vividly see her standing at the counter in her kitchen, newspapers all over the floor in the kitchen, (the papers were a common sight everyday in her kitchen), juicing the oranges next to her large glass pitcher. She called it orange aide. I call it refreshingly, delicious .

Grandma Henke’s Orange drink

You will need:
5 sweet oranges
3 lemons
2 cups of simple syrup (recipe below)
2 quart pitcher
fork or hand juicer
1 quart bowl
2 quart pitcher or container with cover.
measuring cups and small kettle


In small kettle bring to a boil, two cups of water and 1/2 cup sugar. This makes your simple syrup. Let cool

Juice 4 oranges and two lemons into a quart sized bowl.
When syrup has cooled, pour into the juices.

Pour juice mixture into a 2 quart pitcher or container. 

Slice the remaining one orange and one lemon. Add to the container. Fill container with water and place in fridge.

Enjoy anytime of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment