Welcome to my Kitchen!

As often as possible you will find new recipes, that I have found on the internet, from others and some that are family favorites. Most are easy and use common ingredients found in most kitchens. Not all pictures are taken by me, but I do add my own pictures as soon as I can after I have made the recipe and remember to take the picture. Pull up a chair, help yourself to some coffee and make yourself at home. Please leave a comment, I appreciate feedback. Thank you.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Ginger snaps

This is one of my grandma's recipes and a family favorite for years. My mom watched grandma make these cookies many times to get the measurements down. You see, grandma baked by sight and feel, measuring with handsfull of this and pinches of that.  I hope that you enjoy these cookies as much as we do and Happy baking.


Grandma’s Ginger Snaps

1 c. sugar                        

1 TBL. ginger

1 c. shortening                  

1 c. Sorgum or molasses

1 egg                                 

4 c. or more of a. p flour

2 TBL. hot water                

 1 tsp. vanilla

1 TBL. soda ( mix in the hot water)

Mix sugar and shortening until creamy, add egg. Add soda to hot water mix and mix into the sugar mixture. Add molasses, ginger and mix well. Then gradually mix in the flour until a workable consistency. 

Roll into one inch balls and place on greased cookies sheets. Press thin with glass dipped in sugar.

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. The time is a guess as each oven bakes differently. Watch for browning.

Cool on wire rack. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment