Welcome to my Kitchen!

As often as possible you will find new recipes, that I have found on the internet, from others and some that are family favorites. Most are easy and use common ingredients found in most kitchens. Not all pictures are taken by me, but I do add my own pictures as soon as I can after I have made the recipe and remember to take the picture. Pull up a chair, help yourself to some coffee and make yourself at home. Please leave a comment, I appreciate feedback. Thank you.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Baked Oatmeal


Baked Oatmeal

Serves 5 / Preparation time:  10 mins. / Total time 45 mins (plus chilling time)
This oatmeal makes great leftovers.  When reheating, just add some additional skim or low fat milk to achieve desired consistency.


Non stick cooking spray                         1 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
3 1/4 cups skim* milk                             1 1/2 cups peeled, diced apple
1/2 cup packed brown sugar                    1/2 cup raisins (dried cherries or cranberries)
1 TB butter or margarine                          1/4 cup chopped walnuts (opt.)
1/4 tsp salt                                             2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp gr. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350*.  Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. (I use a round baking dish)

In a saucepan over medium- low heat, heat the milk, brown sugar, margarine, salt and cinnamon until the sugar is dissolved and the margarine is melted; about 3 minutes. 
 Remove from heat and add the oats, apple, raisins, walnuts and vanilla extract.  Spoon the mixture into the casserole dish. 
 Cover and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and serve.  (Or when cooled, refrigerate until ready to eat)

*Almond milk (original or vanilla) can be used in place of skim milk.  Also dried cherries or cranberries can be used in place of raisins.  (I sometimes add a little of each)
Based on 1 cup serving:  356 cal; 7 g fat; 65 carb; 10 g protein; 189 mg sodium; 3 mg chol; 233 mg calcium; 4 g fiber.  Food exchanges:  1/2 milk, 2 starch, 2 fruit, 1 fat.
From my friend Cindy Hosbach

No comments:

Post a Comment