Welcome to my Kitchen!

As often as possible you will find new recipes, that I have found on the internet, from others and some that are family favorites. Most are easy and use common ingredients found in most kitchens. Not all pictures are taken by me, but I do add my own pictures as soon as I can after I have made the recipe and remember to take the picture. Pull up a chair, help yourself to some coffee and make yourself at home. Please leave a comment, I appreciate feedback. Thank you.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

School Butter cookie


Our elementary cook gave me this recipe in the late 70’s early 80’s. She never did say how long she had been making them, but they were the school’s favorite. The cookie is no longer made at the school. Everything is now made in a factory. Gone are the days of home cooking in school. Now everything is full of preservatives and no flavor. So sad.   But the memories of these cookies will always be there. The recipe posted is just 1/4 of the original recipe, I had to cut it down or feed the whole neighborhood! :)




1 pound of butter
1/2 pound of brown sugar
1 TBL. Vanilla
1 1/2 teas. salt
5 1/4 cup a.p. flour

Cream butter, vanilla, and brown sugar together until well mixed. Add flour and salt and mix at slow speed until flour is slightly incorporated, then  up to med to mix well. The dough is quite thick so the mixer may lag unless you have a good size mixer.

Line a 9 x 9 cake pan with waxed paper or foil and pat dough into the cake pan.  Refrigerate for an hour or so. Slice into half and then slice as thin or as thick as you would like the cookie to be.The dough does freeze well!! Another way to do this is to roll into logs instead of the cake pan method. The cake pan is what the original baker did so that is what I did or tried to do. :)

Bake at 350º for 10 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Thickness of cookie will determine the time to bake. If you use airbake cookie sheets it will take around 18 minutes to bake.


No comments:

Post a Comment